Saturday, May 1, 2010

Aloha Kauai

Welcome to vacation! Shortly after our trip to Greece, our great friends and travel partners (James & Laurel) invited us on this trip to Kauai to visit Laurel's mom, Isa, who lives here on the island. We arrived late in the day and were greeted by Isa, Doug (Isa's friend), and Woody (Laurel's brother) in true aloha spirit with a meal of coconut water, fresh pineapple, fresh ahi, and sweet potatoes and settled in. We could not have felt more welcomed or more relaxed as everyone's shoes kicked off and we breathed deep vacation breaths. This trip is particularly unique because it does not involve climbing- a first for Kenneth & I. While climbing trips are still our favorite climb, it limits us from visiting other places in the world with amazing things other than great rock.

For our first full day on the island, we went to Tunnels Beach- best beach I have ever been to! I have never really snorkeled- or I guess I just never had much to look at when I've tried to go snorkeling in the past. In just one day, snorkeling is now on my top 10 list. We saw all kinds of colorful fish, coral, etc- a whole underwater world just waiting below the surface. One of my big hopes is that I will get to swim with a sea turtle this trip so I've been on the lookout. Tunnels is on the north shore of the island- known for its mountainous beauty and little development. Just a couple miles north of Tunnels, the road ends and the rest of the north shore is accessible only by hiking the Napali coast on the trail to Kalalou which we plan of hiking this trip. After a little rain and lunch, we walked at Hanalei Bay and then went to Kealia beach to watch the surfers before calling it a day.

My first taste of Kauai
Kenneth taking a break from snorkeling
Plumeria
Hanalei Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment