Friday, February 12, 2010

Snowtorious


ABS Nationals prelims today: so nice to have this event on the east coast! The weather has made it very difficult for people to get here as DC was filled with dump-trucks full of snow going out of town today to try and relocate it. I am staying with my best friend, Jess Culpepper, and her husband and we had some trouble of our own making it to the comp. The plan was for them to drop me off at the metro station so they could get to work, but maneuvering around the slush streets was gripping and the traffic was gridlocked. I was beginning to think that I would surely miss my climb time, but we changed the plans and decided to drive to Alexandria instead and traffic permitted in this direction. I later learned that the red line train that I was supposed to ride to the gym had de-railed. Another bullet dodged in my book: good thing I was already wearing my lucky underwear!

The comp was super-fun with gymnastic, but technical problems: an power/enduro-fest of six problems 4min on/4min off. I am in eighth place going into finals: not too bad for an old lady (believe it or not, I am by far the oldest female competitor making it to finals). It was good as always to see all the familiar faces and friends.

After competing, I went out to lunch with Charlotte, Sarah, and Alex J. and we decided to celebrate the record snowfall:



(ABS Nationals or traversing Mt Ranier: you decide)


Climbing pictures to come tomorrow- I promiss!

No comments:

Post a Comment